Ovex Treatment for Threadworm Contains 4 single-tablet treatments for threadworms
Each tablet contains 100mg mabendazole
THE TREATMENT IS A SINGLE TABLET PER PERSON
- Adults and children over 2 years: Take one tablet only.
- The tablets are orange flavoured and may be chewed or swallowed whole.Crush tablet before giving to young children.
- A single dose of Ovex will kill threadworms. However OVEX may not destroy their eggs,which can cause re-infection and also infect other people. It is therefore strongly recommended that all members of the family are treated at the same time and that precautions are taken to prevent re-infection.
How does it work?
Mebendazole in Ovex is a medication that is used to treat certain types of parasitic worm infections. Ovex works by interfering with proteins in either the worm's intestine or absorptive cells. This leads to the worm not being able to absorb sugars which are essential for its survival. Therefore the energy stores of the worm are depleted, and this leads to it's eventual death within several days.
Ovex is used mainly in the treatment of threadworm, however Ovex is also used to treat infections of roundworm, whipworm and hookworm.
What is Ovex used for?
- Infection with roundworms (ascariasis)
- Infection with threadworm or pinworm
- Infections with hookworm
- Infections with whipworm (trichuriasis)
Not to be used in
Children under 2 years of age
- Ovex should not be used if you are allergic to one or any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy.
- If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.
- Ovex is not recommended for use in pregnancy unless considered essential by your doctor. Seek medical advice from your doctor.
- The manufacturer does not recommend the use of this medicine when breastfeeding, as there is no safety information available. Seek medical advice from your doctor.
Potential Side Effects:
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- Severe swelling of lips, face or tongue (angioedema)
- Itchy rash (urticaria)
- Abdominal pain
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer.